Consolidated Space Tracking and Data Acquisition Department
Space Tracking and Data Acquisition
- "Space tracking and data acquisition" refers to the acts of confirming orbit insertion after launch, recieving and trasmitting data, and monitoring and controlling of a spacecraft.
- Earth observation satellites such as GOSAT ("IBUKI") and GCOM-W1 ("SHIZUKU") as well as asteroid explorers like "HAYABUSA" are connected to us by these tracking and contol operations on ground.
- Space Tracking and Communications Center (STCC) conducts tracking and control operations on a variety of spacecraft from domestic and overseas ground stations and via our Data Relay Test Satellite (DRTS) ("KODAMA") while fostering R&D activities of related technologies and systems.
- Under cooperation with other space agencies such as National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and European Space Agency (ESA), we are also commited to demonstrating new technologies and to standardization of related technologies in this field.
- STCC will continue to play an important role in the Japanese space exploration activities through space tracking and data acquisition of spacecraft.